This handsome and colorful pin and ribbon combination commemorates the 1928 European Figure Skating Championships, held in Troppau, Czechslovakia (today known as Opava, Czech Republic) some 92 years ago.
Very much indicative of the era, the main pin is affixed to a silk ribbon, in this case one that represents the regional or city flag used at the time. The cloisonné pin features the stylized letters “TEV” in the center for “Troppauer Eislaufverein” (Troppau’s Ice Skating Club), which appears written out on shallow arcs above and below the letters. Beneath the small pin and repeated in black lettering overprinted on the ribbon is “Troppauer Eislaufverein”; below that is “Europa-Meisterschaft” (European Championship) to mark the event.
From its inception in 1891 through 1929, only a men’s event was contested at the European Championships. In 1930, championships for ladies and pairs were added and in 1954 ice dancing was added. At the 1928 Europeans, figure skating legends Willy Böckl and Karl Schäfer finished one-two for Austria. Between them, these gentlemen claimed 11 World titles and 14 European titles.
It is likely that this pin/ribbon was produced in an extremely limited number and given only to those connected with the event…
The Troppau pin is undated, yet its provenance verifies the year, having been acquired from the estate of Walter and Ludowika (née Eilers) Jakobsson, Olympic champions in 1920, Olympic silver medalists in 1924, and three times World Champions (1911, 1914, and 1923). Walter Jakobsson served as a judge at the 1928 European Championships, his days of competing several years behind him at that point.
It is likely that this pin/ribbon was produced in an extremely limited number and given only to those connected with the event, such as competitors and judges. A look at the record books indicates that perhaps no more than 20 to 25 pins in total may been issued for the event.